Properties of Benzodiazepines
• Benzodiazepines increase the affinity of the receptor for GABA, and thus increase Cl- conductance and hyperpolarizing current.
• Therefore, benzodiazepines are indirect agonists of the GABA receptor.
Medical Uses of Benzodiazepines
• Anxiolytic – chronic / phobic anxiety & panic attacks.
• Sedative and hypnotic – sleep disturbance & anaesthesia / premed.
• Anticonvulsant – status epilepticus, myoclonic & photic epilepsy.
• Muscle relaxant – muscle spasm / spasticity.
• Alcohol withdrawal.